Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I have some good advice for all of you

Hi my pals. When I had my recent trip(nightmare) to see the Vet Lady, Mom found this article. Some of you may already know about this. You can never be too careful with us pets. The Vet Lady said it would be ok to give me a baby aspirin(81mg) if I needed cause my paw was infected.
"Tylenol and Your Pets
Tylenol (acetaminophen) is a pain killer and anti-fever medication commonly taken by people for minor aches and pains, fever, and soreness from arthritis. It is also a common ingredient in many children’s cough and flu medications. Because it is so regularly used in humans, most people believe that it is safe for their pet. This is incorrect.

Tylenol is extremely toxic in cats, and can be toxic to dogs as well. Cats are more frequently affected because they lack an enzyme pathway that functions to metabolize the drug properly. As little as ½ tablet of Tylenol can be fatal in cats, and although a higher dose is usually required to be toxic to dogs, many can get severely ill with a low dose. Tylenol causes damage to the liver as well as to the blood cells in both species, and clinical signs can include depression, rapid breathing, dark colored gums, swelling of the face, paws, and limbs, vomiting, drooling and death.
The safest way to avoid potential fatal reactions from Tylenol is to NEVER give it to your pet, even in very small amounts. Keep all bottles of Tylenol or other acetaminophen containing products in a securely closed cupboard or medicine cabinet to avoid spillage. If you think your pet is in pain, contact your veterinarian before giving any pain medications at home. It could save your pets life! "
Dr. Kim Yuill is a 2003 graduate of the Atlantic Veterinary College in Charlottetown, PEI. She has a strong interest in client education, wellness and preventative medicine and behavior. Dr. Yuill currently shares her home with a Boston terrier, a Pug, 2 cats, 2 budgies and her husband Charles.
Here are some people foods that we should not eat:
Grapes and raisins
Contain an unknown toxin, which can damage the kidneys. There have been no problems associated with grape seed extract.

Onions and garlic (raw, cooked, or powder)
Contain sulfoxides and disulfides, which can damage red blood cells and cause
anemia. Cats are more susceptible than dogs. Garlic is less toxic than onions.

Xylitol (artificial sweetener)
Can cause liver failure.

Can contain toxins, which may affect multiple systems in the body, cause shock, and result in death.

Macadamia nuts
Contain an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems and muscle.

Chocolate, coffee, tea, and other caffeine
Contain caffeine, theobromine, or theophylline, which can be toxic and affect the heart and nervous systems.
With the holidays coming, we need to be careful and try not to get into some of the people foods that could make us sick. Cheese however, seems to be just fine, thank you very much.
Be safe and lets stay healthy!
licks and sniffs, Sasha


koko said...

Hi Sasha,

Thanks a lot for the info on food safety for fur kids... you are right, it's no fun spending Christmas in the veterinary hospital.

Luckily, we can have cheese and turkey :)

Licks, hero

Dexter said...

Thanks for the reminder. A little gal like you is especially sensitive. Me? I ate half a bag of cough drops with that artificial sweetner, but other than having menthol breath, no ill effects. Phew.


Maxmom said...

Hey Sasha
A wonderful reminder...thanks!

Unknown said...

Well thank goodness, cheese remain on the good list huh? Thanks for posting this sweetie!

Honeygo Beasley said...

Good advice! My master NEVER gives me that.

- Chloe

TwoSpecialWires said...

We didn't know this about Tylenol! Thanks for the info. We'll pass it on to everyone we bark at. It's important stuff to know. ESPECIALLY for our kitty friends.

Jake and Fergi

Unknown said...

Thanks honey! I recently found out about grapes and raisins and told 2 people who didnt know and had been giving them to dogs....One was my dad who was giving ginger grapes! Yikes!

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

Thank you for this reminder.

Lilly, Piper, Carrleigh and Java

Al said...

Awww Sashy what happened to your paws? Does it still hurt? I hope it's better. Tylenol...I thought it's banned already because of the side effects, we don't take that even Mom.
And thanks for the advice, Mom is trying to be very careful with what we eat, even with dog foods. She prepares meals for us that's why we know it's safe. Chocolates? Why???? BOL!

Coffee and Oreo

We love Luna said...

wow mommy didn't know about it neither I!
Thanks a lot my sweet friend Sasha, it's a great post!
purrs and love

Pug(s) and Bugg said...

We didn't know about the mushrooms or macadamias... so glad you told us!

Kelly here- Xylitol killed my sweet baby pug Oliver, who was only four. He was a little thief and got into someone's purse. NEVER KEEP SUGAR FREE GUM WHERE A PET CAN GET IT! We don't even allow it in our house. Even just chewing on it- not ingesting- can cause liver damage. He fought for a few days but his liver shut down for good. It was so hard and I hope no one will go through it again!

The Oceanside Animals said...

You can't go wrong with cheese!

JacksDad said...

That is some very good advice. I would always hesitate to get a pet any type of human medicine without my vet's approval!

Thank you for sharing!

Mollie Jo and Bobo said...

Thanks Sasha thats a great reminder for the momma to read! I agree cheese is fine!

Wags and Licks,
Mollie Jo and Bobo

Martha said...

Hi Sasha, thank you for all that important information - we like our mum to be well informed so she can keep an eye on what we eat.
love and kisses
Martha & Bailey xxx

BRUTUS said...

Good info - so glad to her cheese is not on the 'bad" list!!

Brutus the Frenchie

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

That is all very good information. We didn't know it was OK to use baby aspirin. We hope your paws are OK, Sasha.

Woos, the OP Pack

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Thank you so much for the update. We didn't know that about tylenol or mushrooms.. We do know that lots of house plants are toxic to pups too.
Louie like camex. He can take the lid off the little jar an lick what is inside..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Jan Mader said...

Very good advice. I actually knew of a person who died of Tylenol poisoning when she had the flu. Her liver failed.....

Two French Bulldogs said...

No way..no good...thanks for the info
Benny & Lily

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

Whew...glad cheese is ok, that is the main ingredient in Cheetos!!


Thanks for the great info Sasha!!


PeeEss...Anne, the sweater was put on Bilbo while he was on my lap still groggy after a nap under extreme protest by him!! After it is on he is usually good tho!

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

What a great PSA!


Gail Wilson said...

Thank you Sasha for reminding about the dangers of these foods. It's hard because that chocolate sure smells good. But M.O.M. worked for a vet, and she won't let me have lot's of kinds of people food. hugs and wags, Mistaya

Lorenza said...

Hi, Sasha!
Yes, thanks for the reminder!
Kisses and hugs

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Thank you Sasha for letting us know.
I hope your feet get better. I had an infection on my feet too when i came back from the big ocean. My mom put my ear medicine on my feet and it helped.
One thing we know is also bad , is
when mama cleans the floor she learned not to let me lick the floor with the cleaner on it. I taste everything , and one day I was foaming at my mouth. It scared moms. Now I get locked away from cleaners.
Thank you for sharing and I hope your footies get better.
My sweet Sasha
your tweedles

Unknown said...

Whew.. thank god cheese is okay. Having a cheesehead mom it is apart of every meal. Thanks for sharing the tylenol /aspirin information. There seems to be different opinions on it.

Hey I went to vote for Bucky Badger too!


Hi Sweet Sasha,

Thanks for that great information. We never had Tylenol and now we never will! Thanks to you!

Whew! But you had us scared for a minute when we saw the word CHEESE in cap's. Our mommy gave us some just today!

Luv you bunches!

Riley and Star.

Lillian Robinson said...

Sadie was really happy to hear about the cheese!

Thanks for sharing some great information. My rule of thumb is to only give my animals things that are meant for them, unless I consult my vet.

ocmist said...

Thanks so much for sharing with those that might not know this info. We know that I can have a 1/2 of a baby asprin if I'm having a lot of pain on cold days, but lately, I've been doing pretty well being on this Dr. Franks Joint Pain Relief. It is really working for me, Praise God!

Tylenol is even VERY BAD for people if they take to much of it. It can cause liver problems for them too! OC

kanishk said...

Thanks a lot for the info on food safety for fur kid

Work from home India